Consumer Alert: Telemarketing Frauds
From time to time, Olive Gardens Resort (OGR) becomes aware of third party companies attempting to defraud customers, OGR Members and timeshare owners. Recently, OGR has learned of several trends in consumer telemarketing or other approach frauds relating to the timeshare and exchange industry that we feel is important to bring to your attention.
The scams vary, but all of them seek either personal information or money. Here are some examples:
- Caller claims to be calling about your recent or past OGR vacations or resort vacations.
- Caller asks you to take a survey regarding your timeshare ownership.
- Caller invites you to an OGR update, dinner or meeting.
- Caller offers to rent your “getaway weeks”, “bonus weeks” or otherwise rent your timeshare week with the promise of sharing the rental profits with you, but requires payment of an upfront fee.
- Caller poses as OGR, claims you have OGR weeks left over and offers to purchase them back on behalf of OGR, but requires payment of an upfront fee.
Often these callers are fraudulently stating or implying that they are OGR, authorized by OGR to make offers, or they are somehow affiliated with OGR. These companies use the name of the OGR exchange programs, or refer to OGR terminology and products, to legitimatize the offer.
Please know that these calls or callers are not from OGR, and OGR does not approve or in any way endorse these calls or offers.
What should you do if you are contacted with one of these offers?
Be Cautious. Be wary of upfront fees. Typically, legitimate resale and listing companies do not collect an upfront fee or request your credit card or bank account information on a call.
Ask Questions. Gather specific information about the company calling you, including the name of the company, the full name of the individual, the number they are calling you from and the day and time of the call(s).
Please know that OGR can always validate any special offers that may be active by calling 961.03003026/7/8. Don’t hesitate to ask! This will allow you to have confidence in knowing it is OGR calling.
Please note, we do not have any kind of representation, affiliation or marketer outside the Olive Garden Resort.